• Refugitives



    Stan Mullenaars, Pepijn Michels, Adel Moin and Vera van Otterdijk



    Coach: Erik van der Spek

Refugitives

Persuasive Game Design -- B1.2

The challenge of this project was to create a game which can send an persuasive message which would let people think about the subject, even after closing the game. This could be achieved by creating either a boardgame or a

When I started with the project, I immediately wanted to be the programmer of the game, to improve my DMM and IT and because I have always wanted to create a game. I thought that it would be not as difficult as it eventually would become.

We first started with imagining how the game would look and play. We had the idea to create a top view game, or a platform game. We wanted to do it either in 3D or in 2D. When we were weighing the pros against the cons, we found that it would be easier and better to create a top view 2D game. The best engine that we found for this was the Game Maker engine. After this, we were thinking what the best scenario would be. Eventually, we chose for an fictional country, because this would be better to create certain events. When we thought about who or what the main character should be, we decided to make it non-human, so the game would also be fit for kids.

When we were thinking for what kid of non-human character we wanted, we decided that it should be an squarrel, because it would give good coverage for an "war" in the country and the need to find resources and a new home. We portrayed the war with the woodcutters that cut down all the trees in the forest, the resources by finding nuts, they do also portray temporary refugee camps and we portray the new home with a tree that you have to plant.

After this, we started to program and balance everything. The programming was way more difficult than we thought and thus we had to do a lot of research. We first started with creating an environment in which you could walk around. This game contained placeholders for what were going to be the tiles. We did gradually improve our game. We also did improve the performance of the game by using tiles instead of objects fo the background. I had some problems when I got an virus, which resulted in my pc being locked and cleaned. Because of this did I lose a lot of progress. We finally got 2 prototypes, in which the gameplay and the maps were specified.

The whole report can you find here in PDF format. Here you can download the game.

When I signed up for the Persuasive Game Design project, I wanted to do something that I have always wanted to do; creating a game. This is somthing that I have always wanted to do in my childhood.

I did also experience that creating a game was way more difficult than I had imagined. The coding was not what I was expecting. When I signed up, I did expect that it was more placing object and giving them values, and that the codes were also dumbed down. When I found that we had to do everything from the ground up, I found that the programming was totally new to me. If I take a look back now, I can see the progress that I have made in being able to understand coding. I am now able to "read" the codes and to know where to look for problems, if any occur.

Another thing that I learned a lot about is the importance and the use of communication and teamwork. As I was more involved in this project than in the project of the first semester. While it may not yet have been optimal, it was already a lot better than the teamwork and communiction of the B1.1 project.

Due to this project being quite research intensive, I had to do a lot of work on myself. This resulted in sharpening my SDCL.

During the whole course of the project, I always tried to keep as good communication as I could. I found that a lot of times, we had miscommunications, and that Vera and Adel went for their own idea for the game, leaving me and Stan out of the game-concept. This was quite strange, as I had a lot of ideas on how we could create this game. I do also find it pitifull that it had to go this way. If we had less miscommunications, the progress would have been a lot better and faster.

" It may be due to the virus wrecking your computer, or the fact that programming a game was harder than you thought, but your teammates were also complaining that quite often you didn't show up until late, when they had already quite some work done by themselves and now needed to explain it to you. Seeing as this (a lack of effort and conscientiousness) was the warning leading to your H, I'm also somewhat baffled by this. Perhaps I should have coached you stricter in this, but at the same time, that's not really my job. You really need to improve this in the future." - Erik van der Spek.

In the feedback that I received from my coach, Adel and Vera of my group apparently seem to have some difficulties with me working at home, while I had communicated with them so ask if it would be a problem if I worked at home. Most of the times it was no problem if I worked at home, so I did this a couple of times to avoid the travel time that I have to come to Eindhoven. I find it strange that they did decide to not tell me that they did mind that I was working out of my home, and that they did not tell it directly to me, and just waited untill now. I feel that their communication towards me failed at that point.

The whole report can you find here in PDF format.





This is the introduction movie for Refugitive